Question about Anointing of the Sick.
Question: I
just finished all of my treatments for Breast Cancer. I received the Anointing of the sick a year
and a half ago when I was first diagnosed.
One of my friends submitted my name to the Priest to receive the Anointing
of the Sick again. Am I eligible to receive
this Sacrament?
CCC: 1520, A
particular gift of the Holy Spirit. The first grace of this sacrament is one of strengthening,
peace and courage to overcome the difficulties that go with the condition of
serious illness or the frailty of old age. This grace is a gift of the Holy
Spirit, who renews trust and faith in God and strengthens against the
temptations of the evil one, the temptation to discouragement and anguish in
the face of death.135 This assistance from the Lord by the power of his
Spirit is meant to lead the sick person to healing of the soul, but also of the
body if such is God's will.136 Furthermore, "if he has committed sins, he will be
forgiven."
CCC: 1529,
Each time a Christian falls seriously ill, he may receive the
Anointing of the Sick, and also when, after he has received it, the illness
worsens.
Karen, this is good. I like the way you address the importance of this sacrament and when it applies. I also think you answered the question well, that is, that this person should be able to get the sacrament again because she still might be in the healing phase.
ReplyDeleteI am from the parish Our Lady of Lourdes. The Lady of Lourdes has been known for healing the sick. Every year when we celebrate our feast day, whoever come to that mass can receive the sacrament of the sick. The pastor only requests that we should go to confession first in order to receive the sacrament of the sick. We human have body and soul. We may have sickness in body ... or soul. That sacrament may heal my body, but more importantly, it better heal my soul. One of the father said, if you don't have sickness to be healed, you can still receive the sacrament to heal your soul.
ReplyDelete