Why do we genuflect?

Situation: Confirmation student asked, why do we genuflect?

CCC 1378

Pastoral Response: We believe that the Blood, Body, Soul, and the divinity is present in all the tabernacles of the world.  Therefore he is our king and we should genuflect to show reverence to our Lord Jesus Christ. We genuflect by placing our right knee on the floor and making the sign of the cross.

Comments

  1. Deborah, this CCC reference is spot on. In addition to your statement I might give the option that is in the referenced CCC by saying, “We genuflect, by placing a knee on the floor and making the sign of the cross, or bow deeply as a sign of adoration.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem, so looking up in MW-Dictionary: genuflect = to touch the knee to the floor or ground especially in worship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect reference to CCC 1378! When I was young, I was trained to bow down to adults when visiting a home. So when I come in to church I bow down or genuflect to say hello to God. It's cool to see that the Catechism even mention about this little gesture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are we saved through faith alone, or faith and works?

Question about Anointing of the Sick.